i love this game, goes a little repetitive over time but it was really entertaining to play taking a solid combat system from darksouls, just one little complain, while running, if you stop suddently, the character keeps moving for a while but without any animations, so it looks like you are in ice all the time,a slide animation for that should fix it but again, just a little complain, awesome game dude
Thanks for that feedback. It's good to see thought out comments like that.
hey, good game dude, i had a really good time while playing it but i feel like something is missing, like there is some content that you guys just didn't add in time, so to make this game even better, i'll place some things this game need ASAP
1) more enemies and some extra work on AI: the game is fast paced as the tag list says, but after playing a few minutes, its always the same, enemies coming from both directions and charging towards the player, some are bigger, they wear different weapons and some are smaller and faster, some of them even jump, but that's it, after all, they goes with the same strategy, i'd apreciate an upgrade in the enemy AI
2)more weapons: there are many weapons to use and all of them are unique and offers a new way to play the game, but is just not enough, 10 minutes of gameplay and i've seen all the weapons this game has, besides the ranged weapons are too weak, they seem interesting but they are no match for the huge waves of late game, and we have a little amount of them, we don't even have a bow and a quiver, may we have a little rebalance here?
3) make the weapons enemies wear actually make a difference: its a good detail that enemies wear random weapons but its weird to see my character wearing a weapon that poisons enemies and then see an enemy with the same weapon but not poisoning me, thats just a little detail but it would be amazing that kind of detail, makes you feel you are facing an interesting challenge and could even add a "strategy" flavor to the recipe
well, just things to have in mind for future updates, somethings that i'd love to see on this game, and pleaso don't missunderstand me, i loved the game, is not an original concept but its well executed and entertaining, but a little work on some areas could make the game even better, cheers to the team
Hello, and thanks for the in-depth feedback! Very appreciated! Some of the things that you mentioned have been considered already, and we still have then in mind. Hoping that we don't end up sounding that we're making up excuses, let's go point by point.
1) There were a few ideas for enemies with different behavior, but since we had already extended our deadline a few times, we had to cut some stuff (in this case, we prioritized game modes and unlockable characters). If we come back to Colossorama when our other projects are done, enemies that force the player to adapt are a priority.
2) Balancing both the appearance of weapons and how effective they are on their own has been one of our challenges. With the current system and enemies, adding strong ranged weapons would make the game too easy, so staves work more as secondary. New features like enemies mean having to rebalance a lot of things (like, in the previous build, we added lifesteal, and someone got a few thousand kills by using only maces. We've nerfed it since).
However, yes, we agree that stuff like bows could be a welcome addition. It's a matter of adding them along other features to prevent some weapons being too strong with others being too weak. Firing from a distance is a tremendous asset for the player, and we'll see how to expand on that.
3) Same as with point 2, it's a matter of balancing everything as a whole. An early build had a problem of being too hard because there was no healing. Another made it too easy by adding said life draining. We haven't really proven the effect of letting the enemy use said effects for their own benefit. With your feedback (this one is actually one we haven't heard before), we'll discuss removing weapons that would make the player think they'll get a status debuff.
Agreeing with your first point, we'd rather add more unique enemies that affect gameplay than add more power to the same enemies. Giving them poison or life drain would make the game harder, but not more fun. Enemies that explode or make projectiles rain from the sky would have a more meaningful impact.
Thanks again for the feedback. This is one of our first projects, and it's come a long way thanks to people like you that give us such detailed comments. We'll be discussing these internally, and next time that Colossorama is due a good tweak, we hope to have thoroughly addressed some of these points of opportunity. Cheers!
really interesting, since you are one of my favorite artist/game dev. its really interesting to see how was your 8 years old drawing book like, my favorite was definitely iron man, but that mixture betwen parasect and gloom was nice too
finally after several hours of almost straight gameplay i completed the game, at first this was going to be a full review, but i saw that i mostly talked about why the game is so ez and i felt like i was making the game look like shit wich was not my goal, so instead im gonna write a full tutorial to play deterministic dungeon like a boss
step one: get totems, totems are items that can be found in golden chests after defeating bosses and gives the player some "pasive skills" permanently, in many words, when you die, you lose everything BUT totems and start all over again, there are 5 totems and you can stack their efffects by looting more of the same totems (totem upgrades are limited to level 3) you might as well, get some equipment from golden chests before thinking about totems, but here is the best order that you can get to start looting totems
1) mayan: slows down the selector and give you more control over your picks, extremely usefull for either deal damage and looting especific items, if you are low on health, mayan totem is also useful to evade battles by slowing down the enemy encounter selector
2) viking: the viking totem will randomly attack foes with ice attacks, making them freeze and lose their turn, this triggers after you use your turn so is like taking a double turn by random
3) hindu: this totem allows you to loot even more, battles will have as result a maxium of 3 loots instead of 2 and chests 5 instead of 4, wich is useful to farm equipment to trade in late game
4) alien: aline totem makes your character get more exp after defeating foes, this is really good to prepare for a tough boss fight by grinding levels
5) dragon: the dragon totem is the counterpart of the viking totem, this one will instead of ice, randomly attack with fire, making no status effects but dealing more damage, useful against late game strong foes
step two: learn to grind equipment and scrolls, this is not nesessary but this will help a lot when the time to fight a tough boss comes, in the map sometimes you will find a trading spot, here you can give equipment in exchange for scrolls, i recommend to farm equipment by defeating minions and looting after battles, mayan totems and hindu totems makes a solid combination, the slow addon makes it easier to chose to battle just 1 single enemy and loot the best amount of equipment avilable, wich is increased with the hindu totem, so no loss by having this two, while you go deeper and deeper in the dungeon you will find better equipment every time, when you have the best equipment that is possible to get in that area, try to get copys of that equipment so you can trade those pieces for scrolls, the better equipment you give, the better scrolls you get in exchange, just try to hold level 3 equipment until you have a 3 level set to trade, a full 3 level set gives a rare scroll that otherwise is only obtainable in slot machines
step 3: learn to grind levels, once you have a good set, you can start to fight trios of strong enemies and get a lot of exp for it, quoting a totem for this shore, use the alien one that increase the amount of exp you get after defeating monsters, with this you will level up really quick and get more and more powerful
step 4: create a strategy, this is an turn based rpg game, so strategy is an important part of the gameplay, there is not much strategy anyway, just get the strongest weapon you have and the best armor/shield you can get, level up your mayan totem by looting up to 3 of them to make sure you make the hihest amount of damage that weapon can deal and you are way to go, but get the viking totem to randomly freeze your foes or doing tin by yourself with ice scrolls are a good idea, especially in boss battles since you are fighting one single enemy, ergo, if there are no other enemies to freeze, they will simply lose their turn allowing you to attack for a second time or even use that time to heal yourself (they remain frozen after either 2 turns or until you attack, using an ice scroll against a frozen enemy is not a good idea since it deals damage but also unfroze the enemy)
final step: take some rests from time to time to refresh your mind, sometimes im so concentrated in the game that i forget to take rests, that's when i start to make mistakes becouse my mind is tired and unnable to focus in a 100%, this mistakes could go from something so simple like going in the wrong direction and fighting unnesessary foes wasting some energy, to something worse like attacking when i was supposed to heal me to not die in the next turn, sometimes, it is better to take rests to refresh your mind and get back at full force, try it out
well, that's all, if you follow this tips, you might get far enough to finish the game in your second run or even in the first one, hope to help with this mini strategy guide to play deterministic dungeon, bye bye :D
i played the first version, i liked it but it had some issues, anyway as it was said in the description, it was made in a weekend, that's 2 days, so it was kinda fair, now i see the game updatedand many errors like the arrows coming from nowhere at supersonic speed, or the randomness at the foes moves are solved, now the arrows are a bit slower wich give you a chance to deny it and the movement of the enemys are now not fully random, besides, we have more content now, like more maps (depending on the map you are, the enemy strategy will be slightly different due to some objects on them) a scoreboard and even a movile version, basically, this is much better, a lot more enjoyable and definitely, a 5 stars game, good job
i like the concept, graphics are a bit too cartoonish at least for me, so i'd like new graphics in a full version maybe, i see future in this game, keep it up!
nice game, normaly i'd rate less stars for the duration, but hell, is a demo, no point on doing that, the gameplay is basically a super meat boy combined with ikaruga, wich is as interesting as challenging, i love the concept and as i see, the game is on the road, hope to see a completed version here again and hopefully on steam, you got my support
wow, what else am i supposed to say? i like it, i really do, the controls are kinda troublesome, especially the double jumps, but the concept is atractive, and when i realiced it was just a demo, i went to steam and bought it without making any questions, im gonna do a review of the game in steam when i finish it, good job and keep up like this
Thank you for the review and support!
still my favorite game from soul game studios, so adicting, fast and a lot of content to enjoy, im going for the 100%, gotta get those ratings
Thanks for the nice words, have fun on the way to 100%
the idea is great and the mechanic is formidable, my only complain is that the character is way too slow even when you rush, is still too slow, but in overall, a good game (the xbox 360 controller support is apreciated btw)
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.